So you’ve decided Facebook is the way to go and setup an account for your business…now what? What should your business share with its Facebook friends? Remember: on Facebook, friends are those that choose to follow your Facebook account.
Quality ALWAYS overrules quantity. Post it if it has some sort of connection to your customer friends – think a local connection or advice related to their job. Post it if it has some connection to the products and services you offer. If it has nothing to do with your Facebook friends or your business, think twice before sharing it.
We broke it down for you, thinking about the common fire and security dealer’s business out there on Main Street America. Here are 19 Facebook post ideas to get you started:
- Did a customer just say something nice to you? Share it on Facebook. Better yet, include a response, such as “Glad to hear Suzie’s Candle Shop on High Street is loving their new fire alarm system. No more false alarms!”
- Do your technicians take a smartphone or tablet with them on jobs? Ask them to take photos of successful installs, so you can post them (without revealing the customer name and location, of course). Showcase the photo with an upbeat description, such as, “Retrofitted our third school building this month and all is going extremely smooth!”
- Interesting articles and news stories that can help a facility manager/owner (your customers) overcome a common challenge are always good to share.
- Help your customers get to know you and your employees. Post the occasional employee profile and announce recent promotions, certifications, work anniversaries and even birthdays. This personalizes your company and can go a long way toward improving the customer experience.
- Ask a question relevant to your community, customers or business: “Subway Series starts tonight – who are you rooting for?” or “What’s the biggest security concern you have for your business (offer four answers and an ‘other’ option)”?
- Does your company support a little league team? Do your employees participate in an annual fundraiser walk? Did you recently donate some help to a church or Ronald MacDonald House? Share this is great news to let your customers – and those searching for you online – know how much of an upstanding business you run.
- DO NOT forget the bi-annual reminder to check smoke detector batteries in resi applications when we turn the clocks back and forward for daylight savings.
- This goes without saying, but be sure to share promotions, discounts or new products/services regularly. This is a great medium for keeping customers engaged and in-the-know about any current offers.
- Did you read something interesting in the local paper? If it has to do with your community and customers, why not share it?
- Is there a new product on the market that could offer your customers new or better features? Share some info about it, being sure to tout its benefits and how they relate directly to your customers.
- Ask your Facebook friends for their opinions on a local or national news story.
- Ask your Facebook friends for feedback on the work you’ve done for them recently. If it’s not favorable, use that to your advantage! Do whatever you can to make them a satisfied customer and they WILL quickly become your biggest fan via Facebook and word-of-mouth.
- Was there a storm or blackout in your area? Talk about the back-up power your fire alarm systems provide to safeguard your customers.
- Posting a simple “Good Morning” or “How’s everyone liking this weather?” from time-to-time is more than okay too.
- You know resi and commercial fires are common (unfortunately) and always in the news. Share a good story from time to time about how lives were saved due to a fire alarm, smoke detector, CO detector, etc.
- Is your company exhibiting or presenting at a local/national event, such as a tradeshow, alarm association meeting, business expo, etc.? Spread the word and share event registration info (especially if it’s free to attend) to get more folks to you.
- Did you make a company commercial or video? Share it – you can upload your videos to YouTube free-of-charge – and then link your Facebook posts to it. Check out how to Create a Channel on YouTube.
- Share your history.If your company has old/historic pictures of old systems you installed years ago, historic buildings nearby that you’ve worked in, past employee events, and more – share them. Visitors to your page will get of kick out of the old stuff!
- Hold a contest to build more friends. Get current friends to ‘share’ your page and reward them.
Thinking-up content to post is NOT EASY, so involve your co-workers. From your receptionist to your people in the field – especially those that interface regularly with customers. Task them with emailing in a couple ideas per week or have a quick 10 minute brainstorming session at the end of your monthly employee meeting. The more people you involve, the more awareness they will raise of your Facebook presence. Also, do a quick web search to check out what other businesses, in the industry and in your region, are doing on Facebook.
Have other Facebook post suggestions to add? Share them in the comments section below!
About the Authors:
Beth Welch is the Manager of Public Relations for Honeywell Fire Systems. For a decade, she has strived to raise awareness of new technologies, industry trends and information, for the benefit of engineers, integrators and end users.
Elizabeth Richards is the Manager of Communications for Fire-Lite Alarms, Honeywell Power and Silent Knight’s IntelliKnight line. Liz joined Honeywell Fire Systems in 2003 and is responsible for the communications, collateral, messaging, and events for all three brands.