I was surprised to learn my short blog “Detector Placement Gone Seriously Wrong,” which posted in August of last year was the most viewed blog of 2014, garnering more than twice the number of views of any other post on FireLiteBlog.com.
Whether you liked it, disliked it or really didn’t care, I think the title alone caused many people within our industry to at least peek at what this particular blog had to say – and here’s why…
How many facilities, particularly residential buildings like apartments, assisted living and even nursing homes, have you walked into and seen:
- No detectors?
- Malfunctioning detectors?
- Detectors placed in locations that won’t do a thing to give adequate warning to residents to evacuate before being overcome by smoke and fire?
Case-in-point, the horrific house fire that recently took the lives of seven innocent children in Brooklyn, NY, was found to have only one smoke detector, located on the basement level.
Now my rant about detector placement gone wrong was in reference to commercial facilities that have to adhere to some kind of code. However, this tragedy underlines my point – if codes and standards prescribe where detectors should be placed then, WHY ARE SO MANY OF US STILL SEEING THESE INSTANCES OF DETECTOR PLACEMENTS GONE WRONG?
Don’t people know there are lives and liabilities at stake? Are the requirements for placement hard to find or understand? I’m still seeing chatter and crazy photos of bad detector installs on industry forums and social media – probably more now than I’ve ever seen in the past thanks to our smart phone cameras.
So what’s the cause? This is a fundamental part of building code, is it not?
About the Author
Beth Welch is the Manager of Public Relations for Honeywell Fire Safety. For a decade, she has strived to raise awareness of new technologies, industry trends and information, for the benefit of engineers, integrators and end users.